How do you care for your hair? What hair products are right for you?
If you don't know, you're not alone. A recent hair care survey by Impulse Research found many women make hair mistakes.
Here are tips to help you get the most from your hair:
1. Long Hair Care
Fifty-three percent of women surveyed have longer than shoulder-length hair and 55 percent have had the same style for more than 12 months.
To keep your hair looking great and feeling healthy, or if you're looking for a new style, remember these tips:
- Regis Salons stylists recommend quarter-inch trim every five weeks to prevent damage caused by split ends.
- Cutting layers into long hair gives it shape and manageability. Adding fringe creates softness and definition while providing more styling options.
- Highlights and lowlights create texture and dimension without cutting layers.
2. Protection after iron curling or blow-drying your hair
Even though 75 percent of women use heat styling tools such as curling irons and blow-dryers, only 16 percent regularly use thermal protection products to prevent hair from heat damage.
Sixty-five percent said that they use a blow-dryer daily. Here are a few things to look for in a blow-dryer:
- Ionic blow-dryers reduce drying time to eliminate frizz and add body.
- A cooler setting or "cold shot" on blow-dryers is used to set a style once hair is dry.
- Stylists from MasterCuts, a family-oriented salon, recommend adding a diffuser to enhance curls and create volume and texture.
3. Proper hair care product
The right product can add volume, hold, shine or curls.
A stylist at a product-focused salon can help you identify your hair type and find the products it needs. Here are some guidelines:
- The heavier and coarser your hair, the heavier your product needs to be. Gel is great for supporting heavy hair and pomade and wax separate and define your style.
- If you have fine- or medium-textured hair, choose a lightweight product. Mousse provides definition and support and is a lighter styling solution than gel or pomade.
- Hairspray comes in a variety of strengths, from flexible to firm holds, and works with any hairstyle.
- Shine and smoothing serums add sheen to hair while controlling frizz. They come in a variety of weights so there's a formula for all hair types.
Use hair essential oil to prevent hair loss and help growth: