It can be a nightmare especially when you are a beginner to wigs.
In this article I'm going to give you some pro tips that will help untangle any wig, whether it's straight or curly, short or long, so that it returns to its original shape and you can enjoy it again.
First, let’s calm down and think about what causes this situation. Only by finding the crux of the problem can we find the right solution to it.
- Quality and process of wig
You can also experience tangling in human hair wigs
due to chemicals used to clean and dye the hair.
Lower quality wigs, whether human hair or synthetic wig, are often
more prone to tangling, knotting and frizzing than than wigs of better quality.
- Sweat and friction
- Improper maintenance
- Age and Wear
How to detangle your wig?Since we learned about these reasons, we find simple and effective methods that make it easy and hassle-free to untangle your wig !
- Wash YourWig Properly
Wash with cool or lukewarm water and with products specifically designed for wigs. And certainly don’t use washing up liquid, washing machine liquid, fabric conditioner etc.
Untangle your wig until it’s dry or it will spread the fibers and pulls the knots at the root, leading to the shedding of the fibre.
Click here to learn more about how to wash your synthetic wigs.
- Use right wig tools
- Normal brushes and combs will damage wig fiber. It’s advisable to use special tools to comb your wig.
- A wig comb-This type of comb is specially designed to comb your wig's tangles gently without damaging your hair.
- A wig brush-This sort of brush can remove your tangles without being "caught" in your wig. It's good for synthetic wigs because it normally includes bobbles that secure the fibers of your wig.
- Take good care of your wig
- Invest in right wig care products.
Synthetic hair is somewhat different from bio hair in terms of porosity, so take into account the products you use in case of damaging this process. Use shampoo and conditioner that are specially designed for your wig. Spritz your wig with a leave-in conditioner to help avoid tangles and smooth out any frizzy lock. This is also going to help to add moisture back to the wig. The same applies to styling items – the usual spray is no-no. You can get synthetic wig-safe gel and hair spray, and it's much safer for the fiber to use it.
There are also several items specifically designed to protect and strengthen synthetic fiber and to make the fibers glide over each other rather than start frizzing.
- Restore your wig in the wig stand
Putting your wig in its original packaging after you wear it's another way to avoid it in tangles. If you're not wearing your wig, we suggest that you keep it on a wig stand.
- Take off your wig when go to bed
Learn more about how to maintain your synthetic wig here.
- Untangle after washing
- Step 1: Start by applying a generous amount of shampoo to the hair, then perform a very gentle hair rinse.
- Step 2: Apply the conditioner, avoiding weakening the knots in the roots to prevent hair loss. While the conditioner comes in contact with the hair, detangle it very gently using a wide tooth comb. Start by brushing the bottom then slowly work your way up to the roots.
- Step 3: Rinse your hair.
- Step 4 : Pat them dry. Place them on the support to air dry them. Meanwhile, use your wig comb to detangle and style the hair once more.
- Detangle a wig with fabric softener
- Step 1: Fill your basin with cold water. If the wig is too dirty, you can put it in hot water. Remember not to put it too hot to avoid damaging the hair. Then, pour a capful of long wig softener into the water and create a mixture. For short hair, use a half cap.
- Step 2: Place the wig in the mixture for about 30 minutes. Do not rub it.
- Step 3: Wash in cold water. Do not squeeze it but lift it up to remove any water residue.
- Step 4: Use a towel to gently squeeze the hair. Do this so that the water is absorbed by your fabric. Sponge it until the wig does not drip any more.
- Step 5: Place the wig on the stand.
- Step 6: Use a detangling spray on your wig. Spray it evenly and without excess. Let it absorb it for several minutes.
- Step 7: Use your fingers to gently get rid of the tangling points.
- Step 8: Brush the wig with your wide comb from bottom to top. If you have a wavy / curly wig, it is advisable to use your fingers to maintain the curly look.
What methods do you usually use to untangle your wig? Let me know about your favourite tips and tricks in the comments!